Thursday, January 5, 2012

JQuery Beginners Guide

As you progress with your server development, there will come a time that you want to start adding some additional functionality for the user experience.  I started off using some simple Java Script functions, but I found them to be rather - boring. 

As I was doing research to come up with some new more exciting functionality, I came across something called JQuery.  JQuery is really nothing more then a Java Script framework, but it has lots of neat functionality that can be added to you web pages to enhance the user experience.  If you do a quick search on JQuery, you'll get a fell for the things you can add to your pages.

The trouble I had with trying to learn JQuery, was that it functioned a little differently then plain old Java Script.  Perhaps it was just me, but I was having a hard time grasping some of the basic concepts.  A good example of this had to do with firing events upon page load.  Easy enough to do in JavaScript, as I'd create a function that's called after the page has loaded.  Easiest way to do this is to add the "onload" event to your body tag. 

Using JQuery was a little different.  I finally came across a series of video tutorials that helped explain things much more clearly.  So instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, I thought I'd share the site I found and let you check it out for yourself.  Do try to follow things in order, as there's a series of 16 videos that walk you through different pieces of functionality that you can implement with JQuery.

Enjoy...

http://net.tutsplus.com/articles/web-roundups/jquery-for-absolute-beginners-video-series/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts